The Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team is an elite tactical unit within the Hood County sheriff's office. They are trained to perform high-risk operations that fall outside of the abilities of regular officers. Their duties include:
- Countering terrorist operations
- Engaging heavily armed criminals and counter-terrorism operations
- Providing additional security at special events
- Providing perimeter security against snipers for visiting dignitaries
- Providing public relations
- Rescuing officers and citizens endangered by gunfire
- Resolving high-risk situations with a minimum loss of life
- Resolving situations involving barricaded subjects and/or hostages
- Serving high-risk arrest warrants and search warrants
- Stabilizing dangerous situations dealing with violent criminals
- Stabilizing situations involving high-risk suicidal subjects
The SWAT team is equipped with specialized firearms, including assault rifles, shotguns, handguns, riot control agents, stun grenades, and high-powered rifles for snipers. They have specialized equipment that includes heavy body armor, entry tools, and night vision optics.
The relative infrequency of SWAT call-outs means these specially trained and equipped officers cannot be left to sit around, waiting for an emergency. In Hood County, SWAT officers are normally deployed to regular duties, but are available for SWAT calls via pagers, mobile phones, or radio.
For more information about the SWAT team, contact the sheriff's office at (817) 579-3316.